Team Neko took a little tour out to the Huisun Leisure Forest Park, a route I detailed a bit a few weeks ago.
I also had the pleasure of joining T-Mosaic Bikes for their Moon Festival BBQ. It had all the makings of a great party... including the guy who obviously missed the course in college on the effects of Scotch whiskey on the human mouth and body.
In other goings on...
With the anniversary of ECFA coming in the midst of an election year, it is not surprising to see the big industrialists out trumpeting the benefits of such a trade deal with China.
Sadly, the economic boon promised to Taiwanese has been anything but, while the social and political price appears to be staggeringly high. Much of the problem is that ECFA is not entirely driven my economics, but by Chinese racialists and their nationalist ideologues. Many of the "ripe" numbers have been provided by the Chinese side.
Taiwan's big three manufacturers are rushing into China hot and heavy... while other manufacturers are quietly retreating from rising costs and strong-arm government moves to commandeer private enterprises.
- NTU President calls for improved bicycle parking.
Jean from this great blog... and this one... would like to remind TIC readers to become a part of the greater global conversation on cycling by contributing and participating in discussions in the lead up to the Velo-city Global Conference for 2012.
Why should cyclists in Taiwan be concerned about other cycling communities or contribute information and experience to a conference that will be held in North America?
The answer is simple. Taiwan is a part of a larger global community of cycling and there is very little known about Taiwanese cycling outside the manufacturing sector. Furthermore, Taiwan's government seems keen on building bicycle infrastructure and has routinely sent staff and representatives on research junkets to find out how other countries are building and fostering their different cycling cultures. Often Taiwan's representatives haven't a clue what we want or need. It would be great if they could hear it from some other "authority" who may know a little more about our resources and our challenges.
In Other News:
- At last... the disc brake cyclocross bike is back in a big way. I was way ahead of my time.
- Poor bike path design kills? In Taiwan I am aware of cases of riders being seriously injured by bad designs. Tort Law good... Tort Law bad.
- Cycling's Wonder Woman withdraws from Worlds after EPO allegations. Just when I was thinking I could still get sponsored for the pro ranks at 37... sheesh! Another rock star dream dies. Oh... and she's French.
- Cyclists don't do it on the first date. Help change a negative stereotype.
- New York's Bike Visionary.
- What do you get when you cross a large predatory cat with the name brand of shut-in geekdom? Answer
- Timor cycling for peace.
- Teenage female cyclists embark on a scandalous multi-day bike tour... in 1940.