According to an article from the CNA, a local cyclist has set the 24hr. record in the first annual Pingtung County bike marathon. Fu Sheng-chieh rode 578.2km in 24 hours to take the win. I am still confused as he would obviously be setting a record in the first annual event. *head scratch*
Two stories on senior cyclists.
- The first: Lu Yung-chuan sets out on his cycling odyssey to raise money and awareness to help Taiwan's elderly residents. The "growing old locally" concept helps seniors live out their days in the familiar surroundings of home without having to endure the stress of moving in with their urban dwelling children.
- The second: A group of riders of retirement age set out to bike the rails and visit Taiwan's train stations. A careful reader will read between the lines as each article is edited with a particular viewpoint.
- Bike Hugger unveils his beer themed bike called the "Hodala" in honor of the Taiwanese drinking term for "Bottoms Up!"
- Cycling Satin Cesena takes on Ta Ta Jia.
Other Cycling News:
- Another elite cyclist dies in a tragic training accident. Xavier Tondo was killed last week in a freak accident involving a garage door as he was leaving to go for a training ride. It just goes to show, you never know when your number will be called.
- Washington State is named the top cycling state in the USA. Go Team!
- Cycling advocate learns to steer resources away from the 20% of Americans who are apocalyptic Christians as they will not share the belief in a need for long term transportation solutions.
- Hamstrung: Clouds over Texas as the Lance Armstrong case looks more and more bleak asTyler Hamilton levels accusations.
- New Zealand looking to make roads safer after 8 cycling deaths within weeks last year.
In The Pro Ranks:
- The Giro d'Italia: For a guy surrounded by doping allegations, Alberto Contador is a man on fire. He has taken an approximate 4min. lead on his closest rivals and has been performing like an extraterrestrial. On the climbs up the Grossglockner and Monte Zoncolan he kept spinning on up as poor Nibali looked as if he might be drowning. Contador also took the Individual Time Trial in the mountains to thumb his nose at doubters. It seems the battle is now for second place should Contador become ineligible due to the doping charge, which is currently on appeal. Stage 17 tonight.
- Amgen Tour of California (Sponsored by the company that makes EPO): American, Chris Horner, wins the ATOC followed by teammate Levi Leipheimer 38 sec. behind. The Radio Shack duo simply owned the race where the other half of the pro peloton has been ramping up for the Tour de France next month.